What’s for dinner tonight? You guessed it! An easy peasy casserole. Casseroles are not really my thing, but mama needs a break. Apparently learning to be a new wife is harder than I thought. Technically I am not working right now, so I have a lot of time on my hands. However, in my opinion sorting through wedding gifts, buying and returning what we do and do not need (turns out we did not need 5 cake plates and 2 coffee makers like I thought) setting up the blog, doing daily house chores, keeping up with the laundry and the dishes (I mean water glasses my husband leaves all over the house) waiting on hold with the cable company for 45 minutes just to be disconnected, figuring out what I am going to cook and making sure it is ready to go so I can cook it right after we get home from the gym so somebody’s blood sugar does not drop too low… Yeah sounds like a job to me. Don’t get me wrong, I am NOT complaining, just making sure nobody thinks I do nothing all day long. Ok now that I got that off my chest, where was I?
Oh yeah, dinner tonight… I know what you are thinking… Quite writing about it and go do it and maybe you will have more hours in the day, right? Maybe, but I enjoy this and it helps keep me on track and get excited about what I am doing. Plus next time I want to make this hopefully delowcious meal again I will have the recipe on hand. Ok let’s try this again…
- 1 can (10 ¾ ounces) Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 ⅓ cups water (I use chicken stock intead. It adds tons of flavor!)
- ¾ cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice (I use brown rice for a healthier version.)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 ¼ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir the soup, water, rice, onion powder, black pepper and vegetables in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Top the rice mixture with the chicken. Cover the baking dish.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Top with the cheese and let the casserole stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir the rice before serving.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with a Caesar salad. For dessert serve frozen Italian-style water ice or gelato.
- Alfredo: Substitute broccoli florets for the vegetables and substitute ¼ cup grated Parmesan for the Cheddar cheese. Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese with the soup. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Lower Fat: Use Campbell’s 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup instead of regular soup and use low-fat cheese instead of regular cheese.
- Mexican: In place of the onion powder and black pepper use 1 teaspoon chili powder. Substitute Mexican cheese blend for the Cheddar.
- Italian: In place of the onion powder and black pepper use 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed. Substitute ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan for the Cheddar.
Notes: Sounds easy enough, right? That’s why I picked her. After last nights taco extravaganza I needed simple. Stay tuned for an update.
- Source: Campbell’s Kitchen