Well, yesterday in my Recycled Wood Pallet Table, I promised you a How-To on how to weather wood, and today I bring to you How-To weather wood. I am not one who likes to disappoint, but I do have to warn you, this is a very stinky project. Like serious gagging type smell, but the finished product is so worth it. I stumbled upon this How-To on one of the blogs I frequent, Show & Tell. I absolutely love this blog, because Sausha does everything I want to. She creates, paints, builds and has an amazing DIY filled home that she is constantly changing and upgrading. She also refurbishes furniture and transforms it into gorgeous conversation pieces that will definitely get people talking. She recently just refurbished a piano, that is absolutely amazing. CLICK HERE to check it out!
- 1 piece of 0000 steel wool
- Glass bottle
- Tung Oil (if desired)
- Paint brush
- Rip steel wool into small pieces.
- Put it in the jar and cover with vinegar. After 24 hours most of the steel wool will be dissolved.
- Brush concoction on wood and let it sit and dry for about a day.
- After the wood has soaked up all the horrible smelling vinegar you can give it a light sand.
- If you like a richer look, finish with Tung Oil. (FYI this will take some of the rustic look away)
Notes: I have a couple of pieces I am going to be trying this on this week if the rain ever stops. I will keep you posted with a post