Since For the Love of Cooking’s delowcious recipe, Baked Onion Rings, was such a hit, I thought I would search for similar waste friendly “fried” recipes to bring to you guys. I use the term “fried” loosely, because these pickles are actually broiled in the oven to make them a tad healthier than the fried version. Personally I have not tried them yet, because I have been a little busy preparing to leave the country. Right now I am in Cali dropping off BooBoo Kitty with my family, because they are going to watch her while I am off gallivanting around Asia. Looks like the EGG is going to become the EGG Roll for about 3 months. Possible 6 if we are lucky. I will definitely update you more in-depth with a Singapore dedicated post once I’ve got my life a little more figured out, but I am definitely feeling the EGG Roll idea. Genius!
- 1 jar of pickle slices (we like large, thick slices of Claussen dill pickles)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
- Ranch dressing + hot sauce for dipping
- Turn oven broiler on high.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and flour. Add Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, and pepper. Mix well.
- Place panko bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Dunk each pickle slice into the egg mixture, than dredge it in the panko bread crumbs.
- Place coated pickles on a rack set above a baking sheet and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Place pan in the middle rack of the oven. Broil for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve with Ranch dressing and a dash of hot sauce.
Notes: I am sure there are tons of “fried” recipes out there that we can convert to baking/broiling methods. Hmmmm Let me think…
- Source: Schilling Times